Instead of getting group insurance INDIVIDUAL insurance might be better for you.
Here is a list that helps you know if Individual Insurance will cost you less:
- Is the past 10 years of your medical history CLEAN (no hospitalizations, no surgeries, no chronic conditions)?
- Do you take no or only 1 to 2 medications?
- Do you got to the doctor 6 or less times a year?
- Are you not overweight or only slightly overweight?
- Do you NOT smoke or use tobacco products?
WHY WOULD IT BE CHEAPER?
Insurance companies want HEALTHY people to insure. So you get a discount for being healthy. They set the rate by your health record. So if you take care of yourself, exercise and eat right you insurance premium payment is low.
In a GROUP plan they have to ACCEPT folks that have ongoing conditions. So the coworkers you know that go to the doctor for every sniffle and sneeze are the ones that make your insurance payment higher. The insurance company sets GROUP rates by the number of CLAIMS in a year. So each time someone in a group goes to the doctor it raises the rates on EVERYONE in the group.
BOTTOM LINE you not only may be able to get a plan at a lower price but you EVEN may get MORE coverage. DON"T be scared of the individual market if you lead a healthy lifestyle... it is your friend.